Wednesday, August 19, 2009

South to Alaska

Our southern return route took us on the Cassiar Highway. There is a side road off the Highway that goes to Stewart B.C. and into Hyder, Alaska....the only town in southeastern Alaska that can be driven to. For those familiar with Alaska, it is on the other side of the mountain from Ketchikan. Some views along the amazing road.....






Being a cinnamon roll freak, I had to stop at a lodge advertising "world famous cinnamon rolls"...here is what is left after 3 meals....it weighed about 3 pounds....but probably added 6 to me!






In Hyder is Fish Creek, where there is a viewing platform where people can go to watch the bears catching spawning salmon. We made a brief stop there, and were lucky to be in a good viewing spot to catch some action. At the end of the photos is a short video I shot.....




Downtown Stewart B.C.




One of 20 glaciers along the road to Stewart. This one is famous for being so blue.


And the bear video.....



3 comments:

  1. Cool bear video! Nice way to cap off your trip, I'd say. Sure can't wait to have you back home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the cinmamon roll looks wonderful! No raisins, I hope! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom and June,

    Google alerted me to your travel blog due to your title, South to Alaska. South to Alaska is the title of one of my books,a travel memoir about my father who cruised his homemade boat from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Ketchikan in 1973.

    I lived in Ketchikan for a couple of years after my folks' arrival there in 1973. They remained there for 25 years. I have a brother who still lives on Pennock Island, across the Tongass Narrows from Ketchikan.

    I have never been to Hyder, but have flown over it. Beautiful country--southeast Alaska.

    Great photos, and the cinnamon roll is huge! I imagine you enjoyed it. A small eating spot at Sheep Mountain resort on the road between Anchorage and Glenallen onced served a similiar roll.

    Hope you continue to have wonderful travels.

    ReplyDelete