Monday, March 1, 2010

Oh Deer !

Warning: If you are feint of heart or vegetarian, read no further!

We recently drove to Chino Valley, just north of Prescott, to visit a life-long friend of June's (like we're talking 57 years!). She is married to a guy who you might say is a hunter. He has traveled to nearly all 50 states, and has even written a book "Bucks I Have Taken (And Bucks that Got Away)", by Jay M. Gates III. He has the head or horns of every deer he has taken...representing all five species of North American Deer: Coues Whitetail, Columbian Blacktail, Northeastern Whitetail, Sitka Blacktail and Mule Deer. He is a nationally known hunter and lecturer. Two rooms were added on to their house to display his mounts. The smaller ones are in the garage. He tells us that someone once counted and came up with 95. Here are just some of his deer....


Their daughter works at home for an attorney, I asked her if she felt she was being watched. She laughed and said "you get used to it".





The floor versions shown above are for the grandchildren! If you're interested in seeing all 95, Tom has them on video.

Their cars are identified as follows:



















2 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like this guy isn't one to pass the buck! I guess the buck stops with him! And it appears that he gets a lot of buck for his bang!

    Hmm... I can hear you groaning at my wit (or lack of it). All I can say is, "Buck up!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did the guy get all his bucks I mean money. All I can say, look at all the shed horns I could have picked up

    ReplyDelete