Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Denali VS McKinley

When I was a kid many moons ago, I had thought the highest peak in North America was Mt McKinley. As time went on I had heard about it being called Denali, also the park and highways by that name....I was thinking some treehugger wanted to give it a fancy name. BUT, it has been documented on paper as being Denali as early as the late 1700's. It is a Indian name meaning "The Great One". In the early 1900's some surveyor, "probably a treehugger" was in the area and named it after some unknown that was running for president at the time...Well in stuck in Washington....The man did go on to become president but never wanted to waste the time to see the tallest peak in North America named after him. So I will now refer to that peak as Denali the rest of my life.......Talkeetna,,, what a great place, just the right kind of place a person could live in this state....Lots of food places, lots of beer places and t shirts and hats and etc for all......Great food and the best pale ale I have ever had...5.3%.....we are going back tonight. We had Halibut Olympia last night.....out of this world...and its in a very old beater log cabin with a beer garden...Perfect....

No comments:

Post a Comment